Thursday, November 1, 2018

What Goes Into the Books I Write?

I write books for leisure. Reading them is a leisurely activity. At the same time, I usually try to make it worthwhile in a way that will enlighten the reader or make them know more about the world, at times. At other times, I write about things that are just enjoyable to read about, and don't have any connection to real life.

Writing to Move People

I want people to feel things. I want them to feel things that they don't always feel, when they read my books. I like experimenting in my writing, as well. I like experimenting with comedy and with extravagant imagery. I like taking people places, places they have never been before or places they have been before.

Writing to Provide an Escape

I like to allow people to escape. To see things they have never seen. To go places they have never gone. To imagine things they have never imagined. With the power of words on paper, stimulating the brain. Transporting the reader to incredible destinations.

Character Development

I like building characters off of vague and stereotypical ideas, similar to cartoons or children's movies. I also like using the auras of real people in my protagonist or protagonist associated characters. The reason for this is that I don't like to label people as "bad" or "villainous" in real life. However, I often admire them and view them as heroic protagonists. Therefore, the villains in my books often are stereotypical or vague in nature, and they represent ideas rather than actual people. It is a misconception to believe that they are racist or demeaning to any particular group. It is only a misperception that is unavoidable when writing. No matter who the villain would be, it would be insulting in some way to a person or group of people.

Writing to Explore

I often explore when I write. The reader, when reading, is reading a mental exploration that occurred while I was writing, at times. That is really fun for me, because it is completely intangible. You can't hold the art in a book that I have written. You can only hold the book. You can hold the words on the page, but the book itself is intangible. It is within your own mind and my mind, the connection of which is the words on the page. That experience both fictional, mentally explored, inspired by reality, and real should all be shared from one person to another. I believe Margaret Atwood said something like that once about the words on the page.

Writing to Share

As I said before, it is about sharing experiences. This is similar to story telling, and Native American stories had a very big influence on me.

No comments:

Post a Comment